Shipping and discount codes are added at checkout
Switching to a natural deodorant is a process, and often takes a few weeks for your body to get acclimated. Your body will begin to detox from all of the heavy metals and chemicals that have been building up over the last however many years of using deodorants with aluminum and chemicals. There is the possibility that your arm pits turn a dark color for a few days while the metals and toxins are leaving your body.
If your arm pits start getting super red, itchy, and irritated there could be a few reasons why.
1. You could be detoxing. How long have you been using conventional deodorant? That's a lot of aluminum and other junk that is sitting right on that lymph gland by your arm pit. There is such a thing as a detox rash and it will clear up within a month. Also - it will take about 2 weeks for your body to acclimate to using natural deodorant (then you will find you actually sweat less!
2. You could be allergic to one of the products in the deodorant. If you have an unknown/known food sensitivity or allergy, this could be causing the rash. Some people have allergies to different essential oils as well - which I use to fragrance Happy Pits.
3. The baking soda. This is the culprit most of the time. It's too harsh for some people's armpits - we all have a different ph in our armpits.
If you have a rash, you can put a bit of apple cider vinegar in your hand, pat it on your armpit, and then let it air dry before you apply the deodorant. It really helps with the irritation - and discontinue use if it doesn't clear up. I do make a Happy Pits Sensitive as well - without Baking soda for those with sensitive armpits!
Also - there are a few things to know about Natural Deodorant in general:
* SInce All Ingredients are Natural and there are NO preservatives, the product has a shelf life of about 6-12 months.
* It can soften up a bit in summer or warmer conditions. To keep a firmer consistency - please store in temperatures under 72 degrees - in the summer you can even store in the fridge if you desire..
* If used in excess - the coconut oil in the deodorant can stain clothing. Apply sparingly (you will find that a little bit goes a long way, and is effective) and allow to dry /absorb in to your skin before putting on your shirt.
If you have any questions or concerns - please contact me!
Over the past few years I have been struggling with the fact that two friends have been battling cancer, and just recently an immediate family member was diagnosed with Lupus. Listening to them speak about their challenges, and regurgitating information from Doctor's appointments, as well as reading and researching on their own and my own....there are a couple of common threads; the most impactful to me was that there can often be a combination of genetic triggers and environmental factors and triggers. We aren't talking global warming (though we could..), we are talking about triggers from chemicals, toxins, and irritants in the food we eat, in the personal care products we use, in our laundry soap, in our disinfectants, and so many other areas in our home or at work that comprise our daily "environment".
I know that in our household, we have been eating much healthier, more organic, less processed, no dyes, and I try not to buy a product if I don't know all of the ingredients in it. Why wouldn't I do the same for my personal care products? Deodorant is where my focus went to first. I have tried natural deodorants over the past few years, one gave me an awful rash, another I had to reapply 3 or 4 times throughout the day. I decided to actually take the time to learn some of the science behind our bodies, sweating, odor, and how a deodorant works, and what combination of ingredients would best serve the purpose of reducing moisture, and eliminating odor - while still being 100% NATURAL!.
Here is a brief excerpt from naturalnews.com "Most consumers don't know it, but antiperspirant deodorant products often contain extremely toxic chemicals and heavy metals that can cause severe harm to the human nervous system. To rub such products under the arms is inviting the absorption of these harmful chemicals, which many believe will inevitably lead to cancer or neurological problems (such as Alzheimer's disease)." There are many articles out there and many opinions - this is just one that you can find.
This is SCARY stuff! The article proceeds to talk about Aluminum and why we don't want it in our deodorant! I tend to be very focused and once I start on a cause - it is all or nothing....so I decided to order from many different websites - the highest rated organic ingredients that I would need to give it my best shot at making an effective All Natural deodorant. Through reading lots of blogs, lots of comments on others blogs about what they liked and disliked regarding that particular recipe, and through trial, error and testing and feedback...I believe that HAPPY PITS is one of the best choices for an All Natural, and primarily organic deodorant. My mom was the best guinea pig - one would think well she is your mom - she's biased.....not my mom - a 60+ year old German woman.....very direct and very honest! Her comment "Sandy, I feel like I don't even sweat when I wear this deodorant", is the best compliment that I can have about a product that I have created to help improve the health and overall well-being of my family and friends - and it's NATURAL! Keep in mind - that our skin is our biggest organ! We take a risk of anything we put on it absorbing into our bodies.
I intend to take every small step that I can take to get back to my country roots, and live as naturally as possible. I want to eliminate as many potential triggers for autoimmune disease, among other illnesses -from my daily "environment", as I can! I am exploring making my own household cleansers, laundry detergent, and anything that could potentially go on my skin or in my body. Visit my ETSY shop to purchase Happy Pits!